« Joby Frey, Academic All-State Honors | Main | Substate #3 Final Preview »

J-Hawks Clinch State Tournament Birth

Jefferson v. Cedar Falls (Substate Final)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010


For the first time since the 1998-1999 season the J-Hawks find themselves heading to Des Moines to participate in the boy’s state tournament. A large contingency of J-Hawk faithful traveled to closely outnumber the hometown Cedar Falls Tigers. Jefferson got off to a slow first half start. At one point the J-Hawks were down 19-5. The Tigers’ zone defense took a 27-17 lead into the half. The young and resilient J-Hawks would not give up. Joby Frey, the lone senior who played in tonight’s game, provided the leadership and helped keep the J-Hawks close. Frey again was able to connect from downtown, hitting 4-8 to finish with 12 points.

The J-Hawks were able to make up their ten point halftime deficit by coming out and outscoring the Tigers 17-7. Talented sophomore James Harrington was able to break the J-Hawks’ defense down in the first half. Jefferson’s defenders Teyshawn Campbell, Joby Frey, and Taylor Olson were able to contain him in the second half, which limited Cedar Falls’ offense.

Jefferson’s surge in the third was ignited by three-pointers by Joby Frey, Tyler Meiborg, and Jarrod Uthoff. The offense came as a result of the defense. The J-Hawks were able to take five charges on the night. At the end of the third quarter the game was knotted up 34-34. Jarrod Uthoff came alive in the second half and dominated the fourth quarter. When the J-Hawks needed a basket, Uthoff was there to give it to them. Uthoff had the majority of his 20 in the second half and scored 9 of them going a perfect 9-9 from the free throw line. Jarrod also added a game-high 12 rebounds.

Jefferson and Cedar Falls exchanged empty possessions late in the fourth. With a three point lead, Taylor Olson was able to connect on the second of two free throws to give the J-Hawks a four point lead. Cedar Falls came down and missed on a couple three point attempts. Sophomore Alec Saunders was able to connect on another free throw to put Jefferson up five, where the game would stay. As the final horn in the McLeod Center sounded, the J-Hawks were able to look up the scoreboard with a 47-42 win.

Jefferson players and coaches were able to celebrate and hoist the boy’s state banner at mid-court in appreciation of the tremendous fan support that has followed them throughout the year.

Jefferson will have a week off to get ready for their first round matchup against Sioux City East. The J-Hawks were able to tie up the #4 seed and will play their game Wednesday night at 3:45 at the Wells Fargo Arena.

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend